A Vegan Carrot Cupcakes with A Not- so- Vegan Frosting
Approximate cook and prep time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 cup of raw sugar
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp. of water
- 1 1/3 cup of shredded or processed carrots
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- more shredded coconut to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F° and line a cupcake tine with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix ground flaxseeds with water and let it rest until it gets a gelatinous texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together raw sugar, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla extract, and flaxseeds’ mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to together to combine. I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer in speed 4 for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually mix in shredded carrots and coconut (leave some to decorate). You want a lot of carrots, but you do not want them to take over and become the majority of the cupcake batter.
- Use an ice cream scooper to evenly distribute the cupcake batter throughout the line cupcake tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes. When a toothpick can be inserted into the center of a cupcake and removed with few to no crumbs, they are done. Cool before frosting.
The reason why I called the cupcake a “carrot cupcake with a no-so-vegan frosting” is because I used Dulce de Leche as a frosting (a milk-base caramel). Yes, I made an exception in my diet but you don’t have to. You can make a caramel or look for a vegan frosting that you like. I simply used Dulce de Leche and sprinkle some shredded coconut on top. Enjoy!!!
Source: Nutrient data for this listing was provided by USDA SR-21.
*Percent Daily Values (%DV) are for adults or children aged 4 or older, and are based on a 2,000 calorie reference diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower based on your individual needs.